Tuesday, May 6, 2014

How to get away from v8.8.1 build issues

What’s up with iMacro these days?

I know it’s annoying watching your favorite tool malfunctioning, being stuck with tasks that were easily performed and now you are middle of contacting the creators to fix the bug. Guessed it yet?

OK for those who didn’t get it, I am briefing about the recent bug with iMacro, making all of my previous scripts go crazy. It’s mandatory to keep up with the browser upgrade, as functions change with a new build and classes change as functions grows – Firefox has recently upgraded to v29 where iMacro is still at 8.8.1 version, it’s been more than two months since the last update and functions are getting buggy with each new upgrade of Firefox.

Personally, I put everything in a .CSV file and make my scripts to read it and do whatever they are meant for; besides few smaller bugs with iMacro plug-in, one of the biggest problems with current build is that it doesn’t allow access any input file (.CSV in my case) – all of my previous scripts aren’t working as they use to and now it’s showing some fancy exception with the .JS codes. Annoying!

So, what’s up with that; it has bugs and previous scripts aren’t working – what next?

Hmm interesting question! Here is what I did to resolve this problem meanwhile iMacro developers are sleeping. Wait, for those who are thinking why I don’t use Chrome for making scripts? Well, I don’t like iMacro interface at Chrome and I’ll have to tweak all of my scripts a bit in order to make them work in Chrome, I don’t have time to that. Anyhow, good thing with Firefox is that, it has two versions/builds updating in parallel – first one is the normal version and other is the portable version. If you are smart enough, you might have already guessed what I am about to suggest for resolving the problem? OK, don’t use your brain, relax; go download the portable version and disable auto-update feature once it’s installed, for me Portable Firefox v24 is working best even the standard version seems to react abnormal.

Oh one more thing, I’ve reported this bug at IOPUS forums as well and amazingly, it was already reported by dozens of people – felt good watching others using the tool that I love to you on regular basis!

I have tried multiple methods for requesting the developers to update current version; if you guys come across my article, do whatever you can do to remind the sleeping fellows :)

No comments:

Post a Comment